Monday, March 25, 2013

1st Butterfly of the Year...over Asphalt

A Milbert's Tortoiseshell (Aglais milberti) flew past me, my first butterfly for the year, while I sat in my car at a light on a four-lane highway. What's really ironic, I was going to Blodgett Canyon, a US Forest Service property just west of Hamilton, MT, that is a trailhead into the Selway Bitterroot Wilderness...I found zero butterflies there! Wildlife watching can be like this...never know what might pop into view. Here's a photo of a flashy Milbert's:
Aglais milberti
At Blodgett Canyon did find colorful wildlife in the form of many lichen species, mostly crustose in morphology, on rock:



Unfortunately, I cannot identify them (at present at least); please enjoy for form and color. Spring is arriving, find something colorful.

No comments:

Post a Comment